Famous springs


This is the first treated spring. Its original name was "Bublavý" (“bubbling”) - it bubbles out and springs forth onto surface at the base of slopes of the Malá Kamenná Hill. At the end of the 18th century the spring changed its name to Amandka - this name is derived from Amand, who was a male member of the Serenyi family.


This is the best-known spring in Luhačovice. Its original name was Hlavní ("Main Spring”). This spring is the main one because it is the only one local spring that is bottled and distributed to other places in the Czech Republic. The spring has its source behind the colonnade, under the Velká Kamenná foothill – water is collected in an eight-meter deep well directly in Luhačovice’s sandstone. It has been known since time immemorial. As early as in the 17th century, it was mentioned as the Main Spring. In 1879, walls and a roof were constructed. Later on, a chapel-like pavilion was erected there. On the walls, following words were written: “help the ill, delight the healthy”. At the end of the 18th century the spring received its new name: Vincentka. In the 1850s, another building was constructed next to the pavilion. A mineral water bottling line and a bottle storehouse were created there. The collection well of the original spring was rather shallow – it was modified several times (1907, 1927-1928, 1930-1935) and results were not always successful. During construction of a new colonnade, a dominant hall was built for Vincentka - the water springs forth now in a beautiful fountain with a water serving desk. The spring water is used for drinking cure. Most water is, however, bottled. The water has an increased content of metaboric acid and fluorine and barium ions. The water yield is 13 litres per minute.


This is the third well-known spring. In 1929 a gloriette was built next to the spring. This building became the basis for the future graphical symbol of the Luhačovice spa. This water springs out of clefts and crack in sandstone on the right-hand bank of the Horní Olšava River. Originally, the water ran freely. Only in 1905, the water was collected in a stone vault. In 1929 and 1939, further reconstruction works were carried out: a vaulted grotto with a lattice gate was built. Since 1937, Ottovka has been running from a small fountain over tennis courts. It can be accessed without any restrictions. Visitors to the spa are served the water for drinking cure at the desk in the gloriette. The mineral water has an increased content of iodine, iron, metaboric acid and some trace elements. The average yield of the spring is 3 litres per minute.


Aloiska ranks among the oldest springs. It springs forth in a part above Bílá Čtvrť. It was known as early as in 1770, but drinking cure with this mineral water was introduced only in the 1820s. The original name of the spring was the Forest Spring or the Spring in the Mountain. In 1830, a wooden pavilion was built around the well and the spring was named Aloiska. In 1904, re-collection of the well was carried out. For several years, the mineral water was bottled. Because the water yield decreased considerably, the spring was cancelled and restored in 1929 – 1930. In the 1970s, it was planned to build a big pavilion with a colonnade - but this project has never been completed. Aloiska is used for drinking cure - it has an increased content of iodine, iron, metaboric acid and some trace elements. The average yield of the well is 3 litres per minutes.

Pramen Dr. Šťastného

This spring is named after František Šťastný, physician, who was born in Luhačovice. This mineral water springs forth close to the Spa Theater. At the beginning of the 20th century, a well named Janovka was dug there. At the end of 1929, during the drilling of a test borehole, the spring started throwing water turbulently into the air up to the height of 20 meters. This geyser became well known all over Europe and gave the first name to the spring – Gejzír. Later on, it was found out that the water geyser was decreasing the water level and yield of other springs. Therefore, the spring discharge was regulated. The regulation was heavily affected by spring gases that resulted in repeated eruptions of the spring. After the last eruption, the spring was closed in 1963. It was re-drilled in 1967. Since then, mineral water from this spring refreshes spa visitors. The water has an increased content of metaboric acid, fluorine, iodine, lithium and barium. The discharge is regulated and 5 litres of water flows out every minute.

Elektra I 

This is the most concentrated mineral spring. Formerly, it sprung forth in the original river bed of the Horní Olšava River, where a power plant was located then. In 1908 – 1910, the spring was adapted and bricked up. Final reconstruction took place in 1938 and 1939. During excavation of the well, animal bones, horns, hollow stems and traces of a fireplace were found in the depth of 9 m. Archaelogists believe that the findings are about 30,000 years old. From 1934 to 1937, the spring was used for drinking cure. Because of a high content of minerals, hot-spring salt was produced from the water. The salt was sold in pharmacies and used for preparation of at-home inhalation solutions. The acidulous water is used now for inhalation therapy and carbonated baths. It has an increased content of metaboric acid, iodine and lithium. The average yield of the spring is 14 litres per minute. Its twin spring is Elektra II with the yield between 15 and 20 litres per minute. This water is suitable for carbonated baths, but has not been used yet.

Welcome to Loreta
in Luhačovice